45 years of politics D.D Lapang.
From a road labourer to a school teacher, Dr. Donwa Dethwelson Lapang is currently the most successful Politian in the state. He first contested in the Legislative Assembly Election in 1972 from Nongpoh Constituency as an independent Candidate and served as an MLA before becoming the Minister of State Cooperation, Jails, Education and Civil Defence in the year 1978.
From then onwards there was no looking back until the year 1992 when he became the Chief Minister of the state. Though he held this post for only one year, He was again sworn in as Chief Minister on 4th March 2003. Due to disagreement in the coalition government he resigned from the post on 15 June 2006 and again became the Chief Minister on 10th March 2007.
In the 2008 State Election the Indian National Congress party won a majority of seats. He became the Chief Minister on 10th March 2008, but has to resign on 19th March due to fewer majorities. He again became chief minister for the fourth time on 13th May 2009 when the State was under President's Rule for 2 months.
Apart from holding the highest number of Chief Minister Post he also holds various designations before becoming the chief minister of Meghalaya.
1. 1983 to 1985 - Minister of Planning, Finance, Home, Revenue, Food & Civil Supply.
2. 1985 to 1986 - Minister of Finance (including Taxation), Planning, Evaluation, Home (including Passport), and Revenue.
3. 1986 to 1986 - Minister of Finance (including Taxation), Planning, Evaluation, and Home (including Passport) and Revenue.
4. 1986 to 1987 - Minister of Finance (including Taxation), Planning, Evaluation, and Home (including Passport).
5. 1987 to 1988 - Minister of Planning and Programme Implementation.
6. 1987 to 1988 - Minister of Home, Revenue, and Excise.
7. 1988 to 1990 - Deputy Minister of Home.